Today I turned age sixty. I feel no different today than yesterday at the age of fifty-nine. But I’m here, the big 60! A monumental birthday!
When I was a little girl back in the sixties, I used to tell people I plan to live to be one hundred years old. It seemed at the time a long time away and now, I am over half way there. Forty more years to go to age one hundred and don’t worry I’m not rushing to get there. I am perfectly happy being the age I am now. Living my best life with no apologies or regrets!
I thank God above for my health, my successful career spanning forty years and my supportive family and friends. I thank Him for my God-given talent for writing and the good, loving man in my life. I view my sixtieth year as a new phase in my life journey and I plan to celebrate it wearing my sassy high heel shoes and drinking my favorite red wine Saint Michelle’s Merlot from Washington State.
As I pour myself a glass of wine and slip on my sassy high-heeled shoes, I have discovered many reasons why it’s so cool to be sixty. Below I listed thirty-four cool reasons why age sixty is definitely the “bomb!” The list is as follows:
1. I am more independent than I ever been. Freedom to be.
2. I know myself better. I know what I want and what I am NOT willing to put up with.
3. I have more discernment. I know who my real friends are and I have learned to weed out toxic and emotionally needy people from my life.
4. I no longer strive for needless goals. It’s a waste of time.
5. I have embraced my God-given talent to write. I have written two novels and working on a third.
6. I am okay with spending time alone, in fact, I prefer it sometimes. Less drama and stress.
7. I am more wise, but still youthful.
8. I can say “no” and not feel guilty about it.
9. I can speak my mind respectfully and not care what others think.
10. Although, I love my family dearly, I no longer need approval from them. Hell, now I simply do what I want to do!
11. I am bolder than I ever been.
12. I know money isn’t the path to happiness. Love and supportive family and friends matter in one’s life.
13. I know for the time being, I must work, but it’s not my whole life and it doesn’t define me.
14. I can laugh at my imperfections and I have many.
15. I know diet is a lifestyle and not a temporary restriction what one eats.
16. I have a few aches and pains, but I am still very healthy and fit.
17. I laugh off jerks instead of allowing them to enrage me.
18. If I don’t feel like wearing a bra, I don’t !
19. I no longer worry about my hem-line. If I want to be sexy and wear a short dress or leggings with a pair of three-inch heels, I do, I can and I will!
20. I color my hair to get rid of the gray because I want to not because I trying to please someone else.
21. I discover sex is better as you grow older.
22. I seek out kindred spirited people and create new friendships.
23. I can afford to travel to foreign countries and I do so every chance I get.
24. I have no problem making my own decisions and taking responsibility for my actions.
25. I have lived through some amazing, perilous times, such as the civil rights movement, the first man on the moon, the assassination of a president and two great civil rights leaders, and the forced resignation of a president from office to name a few that younger people have not.
26. I am old enough to remember simpler times when there were no smart phones, iPhones, computers, internet, social media, mandatory auto insurance and credit card interest used to be filed as a deduction on one’s tax bill.
27. I am conservative about some things, but liberal enough to embrace ideas and/or programs that lift up a majority of us.
28. I can tap into my 401K, but I am not ready to retire yet.
29. My mortgage will be paid off in 7 years. I will retire then.
30. Menopause for me is a distant memory.
31. Hooray for senior discounts!
32. Bell Bottoms are back and I recently bought two pairs and I am wearing those suckers like nobody’s business!
33. My daughter has turned out to be a capable, independent, interesting young lady! Not dependent on me! Thank Goodness! I love her with all of my heart!
34. I am happy I am not seventy yet!
Yes, I am older. However, sixty is really just a freaking number and I embrace it wholeheartedly with style, class and a little sass! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Enjoy Your Holiday!
Categories: Short Stories